tanawin.wordpress.com

the world as I see it

Archive for October, 2008

Then and Now – Lawton Residence

Posted by BCS on October 30, 2008

//www.lib.umich.edu/)

The Lawton Residence in 1899 (photo taken from the Puente de Ayala) - Photo courtesy of the University of Michigan Library (http://www.lib.umich.edu/)

Somewhere along this bank of the Pasig River, most likely on an area captured within the frame of this photo, once stood the residence of Henry W. Lawton and his family (Photo taken on September 27, 2008)

Somewhere along this bank of the Pasig River, most likely on an area captured within the frame of this photo, once stood the residence of Henry W. Lawton and his family (Photo taken on September 27, 2008)

Note: Plaza Lawton, now known as Liwasang Bonifacio, was named after Major-General Henry Ware Lawton who was transferred to the Philippines to command the 1st Division, VIII Corps during the Philippine-American War.

Note on the use of the old photograph:

From the University of Michigan Library website:

“Users are free to cite and link to digital content without asking for permission.

“Users are free to download, copy, and distribute works in the public domain without asking for permission. To determine whether a work is in the public domain, see the section on the public domain of the Copyright & Fair Use site of Stanford University Libraries.”

Posted in History, People, Then and Now | Tagged: , , , , , | 5 Comments »

Then and Now – The Ayuntamiento

Posted by BCS on October 29, 2008

//www.lib.umich.edu/)

The Ayuntamiento in 1902 - Photo courtesy of the University of Michigan Library (http://www.lib.umich.edu/)

The Ayuntamiento today (Photo taken on September 27, 2008)

The Ayuntamiento today (Photo taken on September 27, 2008)

It has been said that the Ayuntamiento was once THE grandest and most majestic structure in the whole of Intramuros.

According to Traveler on Foot’s post entitled “The Nostalgic Plaza Roma”, it was in this building where the Spanish Governor General Fermin Jaudenes and American General Wesley Merrit signed official change of colonial power.

This building was also the venue of the first session of the First Philippine Assembly which was held in October 19, 1907.

It’s sad that it’s left in its “ruined” state up to now considering that the late President Marcos issued a Letter of Instruction in 1979 ordering for the Ayuntamiento to be “restored, as much as possible to conform to their appearance during the Spanish Regime”. The LOI also ordered for the structure to be “estored as much as possible to their original condition, with particular attention to the Marble Hall, the staircase and vestibule, the former Session Hall of the Supreme Court and the former offices of the Governors-General.”

More information about the Ayuntamiento can be found on http://intramuros2007.wordpress.com.

Note on the use of the old photograph:

From the University of Michigan Library website:

“Users are free to cite and link to digital content without asking for permission.

“Users are free to download, copy, and distribute works in the public domain without asking for permission. To determine whether a work is in the public domain, see the section on the public domain of the Copyright & Fair Use site of Stanford University Libraries.”

Posted in Architecture, History, Landmarks, Then and Now | Tagged: , , , , , | 4 Comments »

Then and Now – The Legislatura Building

Posted by BCS on October 28, 2008

//www.lib.umich.edu/)

The Legislatura Building in 1929 - Photo courtesy of the University of Michigan Library (http://www.lib.umich.edu/)

The National Museum of the Philippines (Photo taken on October 4, 2008)

The National Museum of the Philippines (Photo taken on October 4, 2008)

From the Philippine House of Representatives website:

The Legislative Building

The Second Regular Session of the Seventh Legislature was formally opened on July 16, 1926 in the Legislative Building at the corner of Taft Avenue and P. Burgos Drive. Originally intended for the National Library, the Legislative Building was part of the “Capitoline structure,” an impressive design in neo-classical architecture for a government center made by David H. Burnham, foremost American city planner of his day. Of Bumham’s grand plan, only three buildings were finally constructed – the Finance Building, the Agriculture Building, and the Legislative Building (formerly National Library). The Burnham plan was doomed when the late President Manuel L. Quezon unveiled his plan for a new capital city, named Quezon City, outside Manila.

The building, which occupies an entire triangular block, was started early in the 1920’s. Work on it was sporadic, however, and it was finished in 1926 at a cost of P4 million. Only half-finished, the lawmakers decided to use its session halls. The National Library was allowed to occupy the basement. The House of Representatives occupied the second floor continuously for 19 years until 1945, when the liberation forces bombed and shelled the building where the Japanese troops had made one of their last stands in Manila. Except for the central portion, the structure was beyond repair.

The Former Japanese Schoolhouse

With the Legislative Building reduced to rubble, old Japanese schoolhouse at the corner of P. Paredes and Lepanto Streets near Azcarraga (now C.M. Recto Avenue). In this wooden three-storey structure, the legislative functions continued until 1949, when part of the Legislative Building on P. Burgos-Taft Avenue was completed and readied for occupancy.

The War-Damaged Legislative Building

Reconstruction of the war-damaged Legislative Building started in 1949. The Congress moved in the same year while the wings were being reconstructed. Work on the two wings was completed in 1950.

The edifice was rebuilt entirely from memory, with the aid of a blueprint without measurements which had providentially been kept by the sculptor Tampingco. The architects of the Bureau of Public Works declared that the reconstructed building is a replica of the original, except that it is less ornate. The rest of the building was modified according to the expanding needs of the Congressmen. Mezzanines were added and offices rebuilt according to their occupants’ specifications. Two annexes on the first floor had been added to the wings.

Said legislative building of the old Congress is currently known as the Executive House. It is the permanent home of the Metropolitan National Museum where national artifacts and treasures are kept and displayed. Its fourth floor was temporarily used by the Senate for their plenary sessions until the Senate transferred to the Government Services Insurance System (GSIS) Complex on Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City last May 1997.

Note on the use of the old photograph:

From the University of Michigan Library website:

“Users are free to cite and link to digital content without asking for permission.

“Users are free to download, copy, and distribute works in the public domain without asking for permission. To determine whether a work is in the public domain, see the section on the public domain of the Copyright & Fair Use site of Stanford University Libraries.”

Posted in Architecture, History, Then and Now | Tagged: , , , | Leave a Comment »