Then and Now – Calle Real
Posted by BCS on October 23, 2008
The two-storey structure you see on the left of the old photo is the Hospital de San Juan de Dios.
According to the website of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila, the Hospital de San Juan de Dios is the oldest hospital in the Philippines which traces its roots to the arrival of Franciscan missionaries in the country on June 24, 1578.
All classes in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Santo Tomas used to be held at this hospital from 1871 to 1927.
In 1927, freshmen and sophomore classes were moved to and held at the University’s España campus, but clinical instructions remained to be given at the hospital until it was completely destroyed in one of the early engagements of the Liberation of Manila in 1944.
By the way, Hospital de San Juan de Dios became the country’s largest private hospital in 1936.
In addition, Calle Real (street shown in the photos) used to be one of the busiest streets inside the walled city.
The site of the old hospital is now home to the Lyceum of the Philippines, a school founded by the late President (of the Philippines) Jose P. Laurel.
Note: The site on which the University of Santo Tomas used to stand is located a couple of blocks away from the Manila Cathedral and is now occupied by the BF Condo building.
Note on the use of the old photograph:
From the University of Michigan Library website:
“Users are free to cite and link to digital content without asking for permission.
“Users are free to download, copy, and distribute works in the public domain without asking for permission. To determine whether a work is in the public domain, see the section on the public domain of the Copyright & Fair Use site of Stanford University Libraries.”