Then and Now – The Ayuntamiento
Posted by BCS on October 29, 2008
It has been said that the Ayuntamiento was once THE grandest and most majestic structure in the whole of Intramuros.
According to Traveler on Foot’s post entitled “The Nostalgic Plaza Roma”, it was in this building where the Spanish Governor General Fermin Jaudenes and American General Wesley Merrit signed official change of colonial power.
This building was also the venue of the first session of the First Philippine Assembly which was held in October 19, 1907.
It’s sad that it’s left in its “ruined” state up to now considering that the late President Marcos issued a Letter of Instruction in 1979 ordering for the Ayuntamiento to be “restored, as much as possible to conform to their appearance during the Spanish Regime”. The LOI also ordered for the structure to be “estored as much as possible to their original condition, with particular attention to the Marble Hall, the staircase and vestibule, the former Session Hall of the Supreme Court and the former offices of the Governors-General.”
More information about the Ayuntamiento can be found on http://intramuros2007.wordpress.com.
Note on the use of the old photograph:
From the University of Michigan Library website:
“Users are free to cite and link to digital content without asking for permission.
“Users are free to download, copy, and distribute works in the public domain without asking for permission. To determine whether a work is in the public domain, see the section on the public domain of the Copyright & Fair Use site of Stanford University Libraries.”